Friday, January 23, 2009

Things Mama Taught Me: "Your Face Will Freeze That Way"

I don't know why my mother never told me about the possibility of permanent face-itis when I was grinning or merely looking pleasant! It was always when I was scowling that she warned me, "Watch out! Your face will freeze that way."

Mama was partly right. When we perform the same physical motion repeatedly, after awhile we create what is called "muscle memory." Our subconscious mind records and remembers the exact position and tension of every muscle used in making the action. After a great many repetitions, the muscle memory becomes so strong that we can perform the action without even thinking about it. It is just automatic.

A couple of us in my exercise class were telling the instructor that when we practice at home, we get stalled partway through the routine because we can't remember what comes next. "Don't worry about it," he told us. "It will get easier. You will build in muscle memory." He was saying that eventually our bodies would just know what to do, and we wouldn't have to work so hard at consciously remembering.

People that I meet won't care whether or not I can use opposing hands and feet to kick-and-punch. (This is not on people, I must add. This is a bunch of arthritic old folks!) They will respond, though, to the habit my face muscles have. Gospel quartets used to sing, "Give the world a smile each day, helping someone on life's way." Smiling is not as complex a performance as dancing or typing or playing the piano, but it does become easier to do with practice.

And so does frowning, my mother knew.

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment