Monday, January 26, 2009

Lessons from a Labyrinth

Some people look with suspicion on practices of reflection and worship that are "too new." Others want to avoid forms that have their origin in very old, even primitive, observances. However, in limiting ourselves this way, we may exclude some opportunities for interesting and helpful spiritual exercises. One of these ways is the use of a labyrinth, not the same as a maze, although some people use the terms interchangeably. A labyrinth has only a single path to the center, an unambiguous route not intended to be difficult or confusing. A maze, on the other hand, is a complex puzzle of branching passages presenting many choices, most of which lead to a dead-end.

The first labyrinth, as far as we know, originated in Greek mythology and was an elaborate structure designed to contain a mythical creature. As with some other pagan practices, the medieval Church adopted a secular custom for her own purpose. Walking through the labyrinth was used a means to meditate, pray, and connect with God in a deep way. The prayer labyrinths embedded in the floors of some of Europe's great cathedrals were even called "Road of Jerusalem" since they served as a sort of spiritual pilgrimage for those who could not travel to the center of their religious world. A few centuries later, prayer labyrinths had lost much of their spiritual meaning, and only with the contemporary church movement have they become popular again. Some clergypersons and believers associate them with New Age mystical practices, but I think that is a needless worry.

The most widely accepted prayer labyrinth in the Church is the eleven-circuit one with four quadrants, which is somewhat representative of Christ's cross. Divine grace is symbolized by the unending path to the center and back. The "pilgrim" moves along the labyrinthine path at his/her own pace, perhaps stopping sometimes to rest or pray, but still on the path. The great truth here is that life too, though it has many turns, complications and difficulties, is still encompassed by God's grace!

A friend gave me a lap labyrinth, a piece of tan canvas with the path outlined clearly in white. I use a glass "pebble" to trace the turns. Here are some of the things I discovered about my labyrinth and about life:

* The path is harder than it looks.
* When on the path, I can't tell whether I'm going in or out but I can't get lost.
* As long as I keep moving, I will get somewhere; it's the journey that matters.
* Pay attention! Or I'll be confused.
* Don't look ahead very far, and don't look back.
* I have to trust the Designer; there are no markers along the way.
* At some points, when it appears I am as far as I can possibly be from the goal, I am in reality only a few turns away from reaching it.
* Conversely, when “the way out” appears to be within easy reach, there may remain a long, winding journey to the end.
* Since, then, things are not always what they seem, I need only to stay committed to the pathway and all will be well!

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment