Thursday, January 22, 2009

Neither Borrower Nor Lender

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be; for loan oft loses both itself and friend." Although that might sound like advice from the Holy Scripture, it is actually a quote from Shakespeare's "Hamlet." The Bible does have something to say, though, about the matter. "The borrower is servant to the lender." There are a few very good reasons for having debt, but we must recognize that it has a price in addition to the interest we pay. We are never quite free. "No, we can't buy a second car while we owe so much on this one." "We will remodel the bathroom after we get the new roof paid for." "I have to pay off my school debt before I can start my own business."

When it comes to lending, the Old Testament regulates how God's people were to lend to one another: not even charging interest, and returning a cloak taken as surety by nightfall so that the owner could stay warm. However, Jesus talked more about giving than about lending. "If you lend money only to those who can repay you, why should you get credit? Even sinners will lend to other sinners for a full return. Love your enemies! [And your neighbors and your relatives!] Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High . . . " for that is the way He lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst. Our Father is kind; we are to be kind. (Luke 6:34, 35 NLT)

I acknowledge that we must be good stewards of the resources God has entrusted to us, so ordinarily we shouldn't be giving away the house payment or donating the week's grocery money to the panhandler on the corner. But in circumstances that we may face from to time, giving can be to our own benefit! After several financial disappointments because I was too "soft," a wise friend advised me, "Don't loan money that you cannot afford to give." I began to follow this counsel, and though sometimes it has been painful—I don't enjoy saying "no"—I have found it becoming a means of self-protection.

Giving, rather than lending, keeps me from feeling like a victim: "He/she has tapped me again! Why do I do this? What if I don't get the money back? How will I pay this bill or that?" Then will someone who knows I am generous take advantage of me? Quite possibly, but giving frees me. I don't have to fret about a decision; it's right there in the checkbook in black-and-white (or red, as the case may be)! If I have it to give, I will help a little or a lot. If I don't have it to give, I cannot loan.

My giving also keeps the other person from distancing themselves. A debtor who delays payment is, after awhile, not going to be eager to be around their lender. Yes, if I give without insisting on a return, they may come and ask again, but at least they are still in my life and we are still talking—even about honesty and responsibility and planning ahead. They know the rule is there: If I have it to give . . .

And best of all, I actually do get compensated for what I give instead of lend. "Mercy to the needy is a loan to God, and God pays back those loans in full." (Proverbs 19:17 MSG)

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture quotation marked NLT is taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved. Scripture marked MSG is taken from The Message. Copyright © 2003 by Eugene H. Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment