Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lord of the Body

We sometimes take for granted the marvelous working of the bodies that we live in, forgetting what a great gift the ordinary processes of life really are. Often we begin to pay attention only when things aren't functioning quite so well!

Night stretches out before me—
Long hours of blessed sleep!
Surely I will rest and then refreshed,
Be equal to the day.

"Oh no, you won't.
Your times are in My Hand.
No matter what you trust to give you ease,
Sleep is a gift. You cannot choose
Relief from busy thought,
The slowing of your heart and breath,
The quieting of every nerve.
I rule your body-home."

Yes, please, I'll have all that:
Corn dogs and onion rings, and cabbage in the soup,
And pizza late at night.
I can eat anything
.

"Oh no, you can't.
Your times are in My Hand.
No matter what you choose to chew,
Digestion is a gift. You cannot force
Your body's use of nutrients
To build and fuel the cells.
I rule your body-frame."

Okay, Lord, it's true:
"In You, we live and move and have our being."

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment