Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Tax Man Cometh

Income Tax Day in the U. S.

Whether or not we like the way the government spends our money, it's a responsibility that income-earning citizens of this country have. Jesus Himself did not oppose the paying of civil taxes. Some men who were trying to get Jesus in trouble with the law confronted Him. “ 'Teacher,' they said, 'we know that you speak and teach what is right and are not influenced by what others think. You teach the way of God truthfully. Now tell us—is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?'

He saw through their trickery and said, 'Show me a Roman coin. Whose picture and title are stamped on it?'

'Caesar’s,' they replied.

'Well then,' he said, 'give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God.' ” (Luke 20:21-25)

I took an unexpected hit from the IRS when my tax preparer had finished figuring my return. It wasn't due to my coming into sudden wealth, but my failure to file a W-4 correctly. After recovering from the shock, my next thought was, "Well, paying this tax on my income means God is providing for me!" I don't want to be insensitive toward those for whom this is a difficult time, but we do have around us the evidence of God's provision. I am reminded of the poem my mother used to quote:

Thank God for Dirty Dishes

Thank God for dirty dishes;

They have a tale to tell.
While others may go hungry,
We're eating very well.
With home, health, and happiness,
I shouldn't want to fuss;
By the stack of evidence,
God's been very good to us. -- Author Unknown

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture quotation is taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

Email:
mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment