Friday, April 17, 2009

"I Want to See"

A blind beggar was sitting beside the road that led into Jericho when Jesus came walking by. The man could hear the noise of the crowd going past. "What's happening?" he asked someone. "Jesus, the man from Nazareth, is coming this way!" they answered excitedly.

With that, the blind man began shouting, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”

“Be quiet!” the people at the front yelled at him. But he only shouted louder, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”

Of course, Jesus heard the commotion. He stopped. "Bring that fellow over to me," He directed. As the man came near, Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?”

An audience with Jesus! The Miracle-Worker is asking him what he wants! Perhaps, "Jesus, make someone give me the coins that will buy what I need for this week."

Or, "Jesus, make the man at the marketplace be generous toward me. He could help me if only he would."

"Jesus, make someone clear this roadside where I sit. Every day I stumble."

"Jesus, make my family accept me. Make people be kind. Make people listen to me."

No, none of these. The blind man was wise enough, brave enough, to tell Jesus what he really needed. "Lord,” he said, “I want to see!” So then Jesus said, “All right, receive your sight! Your faith has healed you.” Instantly the man could see, and he followed Jesus, praising God. (from Luke 18:35-43)

Perhaps sometimes we too come to God with a litany of what others should be made to do! It's better to get to the point: "Lord, I want to see!
Change me!"

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Email:
mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment