Monday, April 6, 2009

Bloom Where You Are

About twenty little grape hyacinths are blooming in various places throughout my yard. None of them are in the bed where I planted them two seasons ago. The squirrels took a particular liking to those bulbs, dug them up, and then hid them in scattered spots in the yard. That is where the hyacinths are now blooming. I have to smile at the squirrels' determination to find and store these delicacies; I just wish I could train them to do the transplanting that I have planned!

Sometimes people get "transplanted" too, and the roots we have put deep into our surroundings are suddenly pulled up: a job transfer, a family member who needs care, an educational opportunity far away, a relationship that cannot be furthered long-distance. Transplanting can be figurative as well as literal: a job loss, serious illness, a relationship that ends. It was both in the lives of dear friends of mine who last week quickly moved a thousand miles away to comfort and aid their son who lost half his family in a horrible crime.

Plants and people take awhile to re-establish their growth. That is all right; new roots have to be developed. When that quiet, unseen process has occurred, they can bloom beautifully again, right where they are. It will happen! I take special care of the things I've transplanted myself without the squirrels' help, and I think God takes special care of people who've been "dug up and moved." If you've experienced transplanting, go ahead and bloom where you are!

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Email:
mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment