Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lord, If You Had Been Here . . .

When the beloved brother of Mary and Martha died, Jesus was off in another town. As a matter of fact, He got the news that Lazarus was very ill but delayed two more days before going to the home in Bethany. And by then, it was too late. Lazarus was dead.

Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus would soon arrive, went out to meet Him. "Lord," she said, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died." Mary too went, and even before Jesus had entered the town, fell at His feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."

Jesus explained to Martha on that sad day, "Your brother will be raised up," but those words were small comfort. Resurrection day might be a very long time from now. "Yes," Martha answered, "I know that he will be raised up in the resurrection at the end of time."

"No, you don't have to wait for the End," Jesus explained. "I am, right now, Resurrection and Life. The one who believes in me, even though he or she dies, will live. And everyone who lives believing in me does not ultimately die at all." (John 11:25, 26)

How we wish that having Jesus present would prevent every sorrow for us! I have just experienced the loss of a brother, but Jesus was not away on some other business and I do not grieve as Martha and Mary did, "Lord, if You had just been there, my brother would not have died." Jesus was right there, present as Eternal Life. He is here with me right now, Resurrection and Life.

"Do you believe this?" Jesus asked Martha.

And I answer with her, "Yes, Lord, I believe."

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Because of this loss in our family, I will be away from my desk for several days. You will hear from me again in about a week!

Scripture quotation is taken from The Message. Copyright © 2003 by Eugene H. Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment