Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Just Travelin' Through

Several members of my family had the opportunity a few days ago to see one of nature's spectacular displays. In south central Nebraska, hundreds of thousands of migrating Sandhill cranes make their annual layover in an area along the Platte River. For several weeks, they feed on wasted corn in nearby harvested fields, beginning at sunrise to "fuel up" for their long trip north to Canada, Alaska, and even Siberia, where they will nest. At sunset, they return to the shallow, protective river to roost safely through the night. During a six-week period, an estimated half million of these cranes--about 80% of the whole world's population--pass through an 80-mile wide flyway on their spring journey from the warmer southern states and Mexico. Seeing these long-necked, long-legged birds landing or taking flight is an awesome sight, and hearing the constant "bugling" of thousands of their voices is an impressive sound!

As we left the area, I pondered the idea of "just travelin' through," and remembered lines from the old southern Gospel song: "This world is not my home, I'm just a-passing through. My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue . . ." (J. R. Baxter, Jr.) Upon our return, there awaited the sad news of my brother's sudden and unexpected death. He did, indeed, just pass through this world. His sixty-nine years did not seem long enough for those of us who knew and loved him, but they were long enough for him to make significant and lasting contributions to the lives of others, particularly children and young people.

All of us are just traveling through. There is no way to know just when our journey will entail leaving this world to enter what the song calls "Heaven's open door." Remember then: "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

The quote is generally attributed to Stephen Grellet, a prominent Quaker missionary in the 19th century, although some sources credit other authors.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment