Monday, March 23, 2009

Corrupted Files

For the last six weeks or so, I have had trouble accessing the files created on my computer with a word-processing program. A friend came and applied his considerable expertise to the problem, but as soon as I reported back to him that it was working great and sent a small check for his trouble, things came apart again! A technician I called suggested deleting and then reloading the program, and then if that didn't work, buying the new (read: expensive!) version of that program.

"What causes this?" I asked. "Your program is probably corrupted," he explained. "That just happens." Given the incredibly complex systems that constitute the technology that we use with such ease, that isn't surprising. "Corruption" does not necessarily mean something really, really bad like a destructive virus; it can be nothing more than some little piece of code that got misplaced or failed somehow to do its job, resulting in frustration and anxiety for the computer user (me!)

Our belief system is like that. Many of us carry around a lot of "corrupted files." By that I do not mean wicked thoughts and degenerate behavior, but ideas and attitudes that have led us in unhappy, unproductive ways. What we believe about ourselves, how we view the world around us, the understanding we have of God are all subject to "corruption" by faulty input. If our self-esteem was damaged while we were in the process of forming it early in life, we probably will carry some of that with us unless (and until) we reject that negativity. If we were taught distrust, to suspect that everyone and everything was out to get us, and to look doubtfully on anything that was not specifically Christian, we most likely will live guardedly and with some degree of fear. If we were brought up with the concept of an angry, vengeful, policeman-with-a-billy-club God, we may find it difficult to fathom the immense love of God for us and His fierce desire to draw us into relationship with Himself. We have "corrupted files."

As it turns out, I have been able to retrieve my written work. The process of "renewal" involved deleting some interfering, but unnecessary, programs that were failing to run properly and consequently shutting down access to other vital actions. I'm renewing my mind these days too, letting God transform me into a new person by changing the way I think—getting rid of those old, corrupted files!

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment