Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It's (Not) All Good

Bakeries, auto sales lots, and a number of song titles (a few with questionable lyrics) are just some of the things named "It's All Good." The Urban Dictionary lists lots of definitions, but most people interpret the phrase basically to mean "everyone/everything is cool, nothing is bad."

It is, after all, just a slang expression used to indicate one's acceptance of the present situation, but if taken literally, it just doesn't seem true to me! It's not all good. I see some dear friends dealing with enormous loss and grief. I know a man dying slowly with a brain tumor. Another friend's husband has been laid off from his job. I have a problem with calling these things "good."

But there is another truth I hold to tightly. "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28) God is working for the good of my friends and loved ones. The circumstances are undeniably bad, but God is still working good into their lives! God is working for my good even while I am in some difficulty! He does not demand that we grin and declare that everything is "cool." He is Truth, and He wants us to face reality. And part of reality is that God is unfailingly present and absolutely faithful to His promise to work for our good.

If that is what you mean when you tell me, "It's all good," then I agree!

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®. NIV®. Copyright©1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment