Friday, February 27, 2009

What Cheer!

How can I not feel happy as the cardinal sings “What cheer! What cheer! Cheer, cheer, cheer!” these almost-spring mornings, and the chirping sparrows are checking out the eaves for possible nesting sites? Yes, my bird neighbors can be messy, but they also serve as reminders of the care God has for them and for me!

According to the Psalmist, God didn’t mind birds flying in and around the holy place where His people worshipped. Where could a creature be more secure than near the altar belonging to the ruler of Heaven’s armies? “Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow builds her nest and raises her young at a place near your altar, O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, my King and my God!” (Psalm 84:3) I too am safe when I make my dwelling place in the secret place of the Most High.

We are in difficult and uncertain times, but I need not be afraid. “[I am] more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.” (Matthew 10:31) I can sing too, “What cheer! What cheer!”

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture quotations are taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment