Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Daily Benefits

Years ago, my very first apartment, furnished in Early Poverty, had very little in the way of decoration. No House Beautiful award for it! I had, though, made one "extravagant" purchase: a pretty and impractical bedspread. Pink roses adorned the top which was quilted in metallic gold, and a ruffled taffeta skirt reached the floor. I thought it was quite elegant!

I was showing my home to a friend. "This is the bedroom," I announced, as we entered a little nook just off the living room--no door to open or close. A little apologetically, I added, "The bedspread is my only luxury."

"You have ice cubes, don't you?" she responded quickly.

I have never forgotten that reply. So much of what I took for granted then--and even still today--is almost beyond imagination in other parts of the world. Ice at my fingertips when many people do not have clean water to drink? A place of my own, warm in the winter and cool in the summer, when thousands live in refugee camps? A taffeta bedspread, no less, when homeless women in my own city have no bed?

"Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, the God of our salvation!" (Psalm 68:19 NKJV) Lord, let me not forget!

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment