Saturday, February 7, 2009

Look Busy

"JESUS IS COMING! Look Busy" a bumper sticker warned me as I exited a parking lot the other day. I've been pondering that. What does it mean?

  • Does it mean: Jesus really is returning. Since He instructed us in a parable, "Do business till I come back" (Luke 19:13), I had better be involved in doing something religious, or at least look like I am.
  • Does it mean: Actually, I can fool Jesus. How I've lived and what I've done so far don't really matter much, so long as I'm looking good when He divides those who are ready from the unprepared.
  • Does it mean: Jesus' return is a threat. He is one mean Boss not to be messed with. Do I really want to risk my job as one of His servants?
  • Does it mean: It's a jab at people who are foolish enough to believe that Christ's return is real, let alone imminent.
  • Does it mean: It's just a joke. Don't try to make it imply anything.

I don't know for sure what the owner of the bumper sticker meant, but I can offer my own take on the possibilities. No, I don't want to be "just acting" at anything when the Lord returns; I want to be genuine. No, I can't fool Jesus—don't want to. No, Jesus is not a stern taskmaster just waiting to catch me with my guard down, relaxing. No, it's not really a jab, but maybe a clever way of calling attention to those Christians who are overly performance-oriented. No, it's not just a joke, or else why bother with sticking a message on the bumper?

MaryMartha
(All rights reserve)

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment