Monday, September 21, 2009

You Say . . . God Says

-- “The news is bad. I'm afraid of what’s in the future.” Jesus said, Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. (John 14:1 NLT) Do we believe our Lord when He said He was leaving us with peace? Or do we choose to follow the thinking of those around us whose "hearts are failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth"? (Luke 21:26 NKJV) And this is even though we have not yet seen heaven, earth, and sea shaken as the Scripture predicts. It's not a bad thing for Christians to be up-to-date on national and world events—but if the price of awareness is fear, let us be less informed!

-- "Why is this happening to me? I just don't understand these difficult circumstances." If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. (James 1:5 NIV) While we often quote this Scripture when we are seeking guidance, that is not really the context in which it appears. James writes in the preceding verses about the various trials that come to believers, and instructs us to let that testing of our faith work patience into us. It's up to us then, when we find ourselves in a hard situation, to ask God if He is wanting to teach us something.

-- "I don’t have enough money"—or adequate housing, or a car that runs. Paul writes, And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19 NLT) Yes, but what about the bill I couldn’t pay and the time the phone company disconnected me? What about the days I was hungry and there wasn’t anything to eat? We often have only myopic spiritual vision, seeing only what is right in front of us and up close. However, I have been serving God for quite a few years now, and as I look back over the "big picture" of my life, I have to say in wonder, "God, you have taken such good care of me! You have indeed supplied my needs." Yes, there may have been some lean times, and there could be others ahead. But viewing the past from where I stand now, I have every reason to thank God for His faithfulness!

-- "I’m tired (or even terrified) of being alone." Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you," we can boldly quote, "God is there, ready to help; I'm fearless no matter what. Who or what can get to me?" (Hebrews 13:5, 6 MSG) This is a difficult situation. Many a person—whether young or older—has determined, "I have to have a husband/wife," or "I simply cannot live by myself." If the matter has been thoroughly committed to God, and following a usual course of action has not brought another person, it is wise to wait with as much contentment as can be called forth! Certainly it is unwise (and even unsafe) to determinedly push into a situation where God has not clearly opened the way.

-- "I’m just scared that I'm not smart enough to make the decisions I face." Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil. (Proverbs 3:5, 6 NLT) One of the specific jobs of the Holy Spirit is to be a Guide to God's children. "The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. . . But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." (John 14:26; 16:13 NIV) Surely the "all things" He teaches and the "all truth" He speaks include help for our decisions.

-- "Everything’s out of control. The world has gone crazy with money, sex, and power." God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel? "Lord, they have killed your prophets, they have torn down your altars, and I alone am left, and they are seeking my life." But what is the divine response to him? "I have kept for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal." In the same way then, there has also come to be at the present time a remnant according to God's gracious choice. (Romans 11:2-5 NASB) Don't succumb to the "poor me" attitude or think in terms of "us poor, put-upon Christians"! Look up! Our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed!

MaryMartha

Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved. Scripture marked NKJV is taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Scripture quotations marked NIV are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®. NIV®. Copyright©1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved. Scripture marked MSG is taken from The Message. Copyright © 2003 by Eugene H. Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. Scripture marked NASB is from the New American Standard Bible, used by permission of The Lockman Foundation, www.lockman.org

No comments:

Post a Comment