Friday, September 4, 2009

My Father's World

This is my Father's world,
He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass,
He speaks to me everywhere.

These words from the well-known hymn, "This Is My Father's World," were written by Maltbie D. Babcock, a noted clergyman of the nineteenth century in New York and Maryland. He was fond of walking along the cliffs near his home where he could enjoy a panoramic view of "his Father's world." The poem was published after his death in 1901 at the age of 42, and was set to the music of a traditional English melody.

I am reminded of that hymn when people ask, as they sometimes do, how I think of things to write about each day. Admittedly, I experience a short-lived "writer's block" on occasion, but mostly I enjoy the flow of inspiration from everyday occurrences. Quite likely you do too, you just don't happen to be writing about them!

I believe in the "very present-ness" of God. My mother thought the following lyrics were almost irreverent, seeming to her that they minimized the greatness of God.

My God and I go in the field together;
We walk and talk as good friends should and do;
We clasp our hands, our voices ring with laughter;
My God and I walk through the meadow's hue.
From "My God and I," Austris Whithol (20th century, I think)

It doesn't seem to me that this song is so very different from the hymn she found somewhat more acceptable:

And He walks with me and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joys we share as were tarry there,
None other has ever known.
From "In the Garden," C. Austin Miles, 1912

Whatever the terminology, each of these songs speaks of an intimate relationship with the Almighty. I think that to relish His friendship is not to lessen His majesty at all. Only a God as great as He could arrange a plan whereby lesser creatures may enjoy communion with someone so totally Other!

He is everywhere—omnipresent, the theologians call it. And what a wonder! He speaks to us everywhere, all the time! It is left to us to prepare our attention to see and hear Him everywhere.

MaryMartha

No comments:

Post a Comment