Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Homeless

One evening, a few days ago, I passed by a large fenced-in building where a dozen or fifteen men and women were waiting outside the gates. Having already had supper, I'm guessing, at the free meal center across the street, these people were gathering at a place where they could spend the night, safe and sheltered.

I thought how grateful I am for a home where I can go after a busy day. I open the door to a space that I can call my own. Inside, it is warm or cool, depending on what I need. There is something of my own choosing to eat. It is not crowded or noisy. No one tells me when to turn off the light. I know exactly who slept in the bed last night, and who used the shower. I am truly fortunate, and I feel compassion for those who have less than I do.

That would include Jesus—for the time that He lived here. "As they [Jesus and the disciples] were walking along, someone said to Jesus, 'I will follow you wherever you go.' But Jesus replied, 'Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.' ” (Luke 9:57-58) Just imagine! Jesus. Homeless.

We cannot fathom what it meant for Jesus to abandon Heaven and take on human form. How strange that He would be born, not in a suitable palace or even in a comfortable village home, but rather in a cattle pen! He left the indescribable presence of His Father and the adoration of angels to come to an unfriendly, and finally murderous, environment. Few hymns express the wonder of the Incarnation more clearly than a few verses of Charles Wesley's, "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing." Although properly a Christmas hymn, it is worthy of our contemplation at any time.

Christ, by highest heaven adored,
Christ, the everlasting Lord,
Late in time behold him come,
Offspring of a virgin's womb!
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see;

Hail the incarnate Deity!
Pleased as man with men to appear,
Jesus our Immanuel here.

Hail the heaven-born Prince of peace!

Hail the Sun of righteousness!
Light and life to all he brings,
Risen with healing in his wings.
Mild he lays his glory by,

Born that man no more may die;
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.


"You know the generous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make you rich." (II Corinthians 8:9)

MaryMartha

Scripture quotations are taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment