Thursday, September 24, 2009

Unceasing Prayer

"Pray without ceasing," I have read in the Scripture a great many times. I often wondered just how one does that, but as I've have gained some experience in both life and prayer, I have a better understanding.

Here are a few ways:

The newspaper or the online newsreader reports a terrible accident where a teenager was killed instantly. O God, comfort that dear family. How terrible to lose a bright, talented young person. Let them turn to you in their sorrow.

A scruffy-looking man standing at a busy intersection holds up a hand-printed sign. OUT OF WORK - NEED FOOD – PLEASE HELP. How do I know this is for real (because so many times it's not)? Lord, help this man find work he can do. Help him turn to the agencies who can offer him guidance. Meanwhile, should I give a dollar? (Sometimes I do, often I don't.)

There's a woman standing in the line ahead of me. One pant leg hangs empty. O God, thank you for my legs! She seems to be coping. Help her continue to find her way through life.

I hear someone depreciating the boss or their elected representative or the President. Help our leaders seek what is good and right. Most of them are trying to do the best they can. Help us do our part.

Sirens wail—police cars or fire trucks or ambulances. Someone's in trouble. Someone's in danger or is hurt. Help them. Guide and protect those who are hurrying to aid them.


A child is screaming in the post office or the grocery store or the church hallway. The cries seem to be expressing anger and frustration, or hunger or sleepiness, rather than pain. Help that mother/dad realize what they need to do for the baby. Help the child to receive those calming measures.

A driver is speeding carelessly. Shall I pray for safety for him and others on the road? Or shall I ask for him to be caught? Lord, you know . . .

I leave the building where I work and step out into a brisk fall afternoon. Thank you, Lord, for such a glorious day!

As you can see, prayer need not be confined to that quiet time in the morning or the before-bed routine. There are countless moments during the day when prayer is called for. And it may often be the case that you are the only one praying for that situation.

. . . More things are wrought by prayer
Than this world dreams of. Wherefore, let thy voice
Rise like a fountain for me day and night.
For what are men better than sheep or goats
That nourish a blind life within the brain
If, knowing God, they lift not hands of prayer
Both for themselves and those who call them friend?
For so the whole round earth is every way
Bound by gold chains about the feet of God.

-- "The Passing of Arthur"
Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1809-1892

MaryMartha

The quote is taken from The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, 3rd ed., 1980

2 comments:

  1. One of the traditional Christian that people are taught to pray unceasingly is to use the Jesus Prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.
    Here is a link to a web site where you can explore this prayer and the writings of the Early Church fathers on it.
    http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Jesus%20Prayer.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I read with interest this link and some others connected with it. This sounds much like the prayer of the tax collector in Jesus' parable about the "publican" and the Pharisee. Is that its origin? I can appreciate its value in a life of continual prayer. MM

    ReplyDelete