Monday, August 23, 2010

Truth in Advertising


"Do you want butter and honey for your biscuit?" the man at the counter asked, and when I replied that I did, he threw a couple of little plastic packets into my dinner box. When I sat down to eat, I found that the butter was "buttery spread" and the honey was "honey sauce." Not the real thing at all!

However, that's what the packets actually had printed on them, so there was really no deception after all. And besides, having eaten at that place before, I knew there was no real butter or honey involved!

I did start thinking, though, about how often we anticipate something that turns out to be not quite what we expected. A free cruise? A surefire investment? Or lifetime light bulbs and no-pre-rinse dishwasher tablets? We are taken in a lot by things we'd like to think are guaranteed.

That's all the more reason for us to be sure that what we say we believe and what we live are in sync, that we do indeed "walk the talk." False teachers may not be just those whose doctrine is flawed, but also those whose lives do not demonstrate truth. Remember, "What you are speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say."

MaryMartha

Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment