Thursday, August 26, 2010

Things Mama Taught Me - "Answer When I Call"

Sometimes people respond to the calling of their name with the truncated answer, "What--" Given the downward inflection of the word, they are apt to seem impatient or uncaring, as if saying, "What do you want now?" even though they probably do not intend to give that impression. "Yes?" is a more pleasant answer, as if one were expectant and ready to serve.

We used to sing:

When He calls me, I will answer,
When He calls me, I will obey,
When He calls me, I will answer.
I'll be somewhere listening for my name.

How different the grudging, "What. Well, all right," from actually listening for God's call! Sometimes He calls with a Scripture verse that speaks to our hearts, "This is for you." Sometimes with the reminder of something which needs our attention that we have left undone. Sometimes with an idea that we are charged with implementing. He calls if we are listening for our name.

But don't wait for it come on an amplified sound system.

MaryMartha

Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment