Tuesday, August 31, 2010

God Is Impartial

One of a series on "The Endearing Personality of God"

I sometimes feel just a little uncomfortable when I compliment people, "You have a lovely home," or "That's a beautiful car." Their response may be, "Yes, God has blessed us," or "Yes, God has been good to us." Really, I do understand the desire to credit God with what we enjoy, but in the back of my mind, I am comparing my own home or my own car and hearing, "Too bad about you."

Does God have favorites? If we are not very careful how we speak, it almost sounds that way. I do not have the home or car or clothes that compare to what other people have. Looking at it another way, if I were with the homeless or hungry or endangered, how then could I explain the advantages and comforts I have—yes, my riches? Does God have favorites? Certainly not. Everything good finds its source in Him, even if I "earned" it. If acknowledging Him carries with it even the tiniest bit of self-importance, it would be better for me to thank Him in the secret place of prayer, lest I be like the Pharisees who wished to be seen as devout.

No, God is no respecter of persons; the Bible is clear about that. (The Apostle Peter finally understood. See Acts 10:34-43) Again and again, he says, "all" and "whoever." Where did we get the idea that God's blessing, His goodness, His favor, is measured by what we own or the circumstances in which we are? If the Gospel of God's grace and goodness does not work in Calcutta or Appalachia or New Orleans, it is not the true Gospel. If it doesn't apply in prisons or refugee tent-cities or land-mined fields, then it is not the Gospel that Jesus taught and exemplified. How is it lived out in these unfortunate places? I don't know the answer to that personally, but down through the ages, Christians have proved that God is faithful in the most miserable "have-not" situations. I know for certain that God is impartial; His love and grace are available to all, and I really love that about Him!

MaryMartha

I think you would also enjoy reading two other posts; click on a title.
Does God Always Provide Bread?
But If Not

Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment