Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"He Maketh Me to Lie Down"

In recent weeks, I have tried conscientiously to spend a little while resting after my work in the morning and early afternoon. Sometimes, I am restless; there is always just so much to do! The other day, I was fussing inwardly at the restriction with which I felt compelled to comply. As I was forming my complaint, I remembered the words in the familiar 23rd Psalm. It says, "He makes me lie down in green pastures."

Was that God speaking to me? I'm not sure, but it certainly was an appropriate reminder! I've never heard anyone expound on that part of the verse. Always the emphasis is on the plentiful supply provided by the Good Shepherd, drawn from the picture of abundant grass for grazing. Only one of the classic commentaries available to me mentioned "making me lie down." Charles H. Spurgeon, the "prince of preachers" and a prolific author, wrote in his commentary on this psalm about the "distracted souls" who know what it is to feed on God's grace, but never find the rest and satisfaction of appropriating it as their own—lying down in it.

God wants to lead us in paths of righteousness and perhaps through the shadowed valley too, but what if He plans for us to lie down sometimes? He wants us to be spiritually fed and satisfied, of course, but could He be guarding our health and safety and well-being by encouraging our literal lying down as well? Isn't some of our busyness a nicer-sounding word for anxiety?

MaryMartha

Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment