Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pomp and Circumstance


A few mornings ago, I heard on a radio station which plays classical music the stirring "Pomp and Circumstance." It's stirring because it usually reminds us of processioning down the aisle of an auditorium for a graduation ceremony, although in my case, it was across a football field in the blazing sun. I cried tears of sheer relief after the commencement exercises were over and I had my degree in hand. The four years of commuting to another city for graduate studies was over, work that I had done while holding a full-time job and being a single parent. I was not awarded any special honors, but I didn't care. It was enough to have "finished the course and kept the faith"!

I am reminded of an often-repeated story, told with varying details, but this is how I remember having heard it when I was very young. An elderly preacher, now in ill health, was returning to the States after many years of service in Africa. As the ship approached the harbor, he saw a huge crowd gathered. He was nearly overwhelmed by the thought of so many honoring him for his almost-unnoticed work for the Kingdom of God. "Oh my, what a welcome!" he thought.


As the ship docked, however, he saw that the signs being held up said, "Welcome home, Mr. President!" Theodore Roosevelt was returning from an African safari, and the missionary happened to be on the same ship. With sinking heart, he realized that the crowd was not for himself; in fact, he was to discover that not one single person was there to greet and honor him. The veteran missionary turned to God in his bitter disappointment. "Lord, I have served you faithfully all these years. No one seems to care that I have given everything—even my health—for the sake of the Gospel. Couldn't there have been even one person here to welcome me home?" And he heard the comforting voice of the Spirit of God, "But just wait. You're not Home yet!"

What a day that will be! Graduation! Commencement! Homecoming! "Welcome home!" Perhaps even, "Congratulations!" All of those rolled into one. And most of all, the words of our Savior, "Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (Matthew 25:23 KJV)

MaryMartha

No comments:

Post a Comment