Monday, August 3, 2009

Floaters

My eyes are aging. Well, to be honest, the rest of me is also, but I am noticing the eyes. In the past, I've occasionally had "floaters," those fiber-like things that floated in my vision; after awhile, they always went away. But recently, I had a sudden accumulation of clumps and strings along with flashes of light. Naturally, I consulted my optometrist. He examined my eye with great care and found there was no imminent danger of a retinal tear. These symptoms are very common as the result of age-related changes in the eyes, he explained, and told me I could expect improvement in a few days or weeks. The floaters would wash down out of my direct line of sight or I would get used to seeing past them.

If I focus on what is right up in my face, I see spots and strings and a hazy net-like obstruction. A little further out, I see lines in the lenses of my glasses, and also the frames. I can see the end of my nose too. But when I focus on these, I can't see anything else very well. I know there is a computer screen out there but I cannot read it, and there is a lamp lighting the desk but I would not be able to describe it. Why? Because I have chosen to focus on something very near to me, excluding other things. If I want to see clearly something that is past my own nose, I will have to look past the tiny things that would interfere.

What a parable of spiritual vision! I don't even need to explain it.

MaryMartha

No comments:

Post a Comment