Friday, July 10, 2009

On Being Whacked


A couple of nights ago, this area had torrential rain and sizeable hail. My beautiful big-leafed hosta are in shreds. I was bemoaning my loss to a couple of co-workers and one of them told me, "They'll come back. The year we had such a huge hailstorm here, I had my best garden crops ever. In fact, my mother told me it would increase the yields if you take a yardstick to your plants. Don't kill them; just give them a couple of good whacks!"

Oh, really? That sounds like something a great-grandmother told her daughter and she told her daughter and she told her daughter . . . Maybe that idea came from the tough pine trees that withstand storms on mountain terrain, or possibly it has something to do with pollinating certain plants. Anyway, I'm inclined to doubt the scientific validity—unless some of you gardeners out there have convincing evidence.

I do know, however, that it is possible for difficulty to make people sturdy and productive. Jesus said to His disciples at the Passover meal with them, "I have told you these things [about His return to the Father] so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble [whackings!]. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

MaryMartha

Scripture quotation is taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment