Friday, July 3, 2009

Getting Polished


I bought some natural stones today for my rock garden. Some were rough pieces of limestone, probably from right here in Kansas, the dealer told me. Others I chose were river rocks, he said, worn smooth by years and years of tumbling against one another as the water flowed over and around them. Even though these rocks are composed of extremely hard material, much harder than the limestone, their sharp edges have been knocked off by the constant wearing process. If one were to further tumble these smoothed rocks in a rock tumbler with abrasive grit, they would be quite beautiful, some with distinctive grain as well as a high polish.

As I placed the rocks, I thought about the "rough edges" we ourselves have, and how God brings into our lives the circumstances and people that can smooth out those places if we comply with His plan. Maybe the things that simply wear us out are actually working for our benefit! When we are feeling most tumbled, perhaps that is when we are getting our best polishing!


MaryMartha

No comments:

Post a Comment