Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Ebenezer

I have several favorite places at the country retreat where I have just spent a week. One is an open, grassy space near the lake. Three crosses on the other side stand in sharp contrast against the summer sky. How can I not worship?

Not far away, there is a "post rock," standing upright and alone, so-called because of its history. A thin layer of limestone (10-12" usually) lies near the earth's surface in the central part of the Smoky Hills region of Kansas. Early settlers found few trees here to construct fences and buildings, so they were forced to locate alternate materials. They soon discovered that blocks from this limestone bed suited their needs. Some of the fences they made are still standing, a hundred years or so later. With wood and steel now readily available for building fences, most of the "post rock" quarried today is used for decorative purposes. Like my "Ebenezer."

In the Old Testament, we are told of an attack the Philistines were planning against the children of Israel who were encamped at Mizpah. The Israelites were badly frightened and begged Samuel to intercede for them with God. While Samuel was sacrificing the appropriate burnt offering, the enemy approached to engage Israel in battle. But in answer to Samuel's prayer, the Lord thundered loudly and threw them into a panic. The men of Israel rushed out of Mizpah and pursued the Philistines, slaughtering them as they ran away. Then Samuel took a large stone and set it up near Mizpah. He named it Ebenezer (literally meaning, "stone of help") and declared, "Thus far has the LORD helped us." (See I Samuel 7:7-12)

On a number of occasions, I have paused by this particular post rock, embraced it, and called it "Ebenezer." It reminds me of how far I have come with God's help, and though there is still a long way to go, it assures me of His continued help.

"Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home."
--from "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" by Robert Robinson, 1757

MaryMartha

No comments:

Post a Comment