Thursday, October 23, 2008

Measure Twice and Saw Once

“Measure twice and saw once” was what my dad or some other wise person told me as they observed my efforts on a repair project. The meaning is clear. I cannot put back a piece I have removed. If I’ve changed my mind, or I sawed off too much and now neither section is workable—well, I should have exercised just a little more care before I started wielding that saw.
Thinking about that old adage, I realized how like another it is: “Think twice before you speak.” This is perhaps even more familiar than the one about measuring, but to me it is not as descriptive. Sure, we know we are supposed to think about what we’re saying, but drawing the parallel between speaking and sawing may give us a better picture of just how important that thoughtfulness is. We can’t really take back spoken words any more than we can re-attach the piece of board that we sawed off and now wish we hadn’t!

“Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.” (Colossians 4:6) Satisfying relationships and productive lives are not achieved without some thoughtful attention to our speech. Maybe this can help guide us: “Measure twice and saw once.”

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture quotation is taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment