Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Good for One Friend

Usually coupons that arrive in my mailbox are good for one large drink FREE! when I buy the advertised sandwich, or good for balancing my tires FREE! when I buy a couple of new ones. The other day I received a coupon: GOOD FOR ONE FRIEND. Well, I thought, that’s a novel idea! Of course, I soon realized that the advertiser wanted me to pass the coupon on to a friend who would subscribe to their magazine.

But isn’t that a great idea! I thought about the kind of friend I might like to get with my coupon:

A friend who prays with/for me.
A friend who understands and accepts who I am.
A friend who listens.
A friend who doesn’t always agree with me
    (and challenges “sloppy” thinking)!
A friend who gives honest and wise counsel.
A friend who can talk intelligently about something he/she has read.
A friend who likes to eat out at the same places I do!
A friend who enjoys the music I do (when we’re together).
A friend who likes to have a “play day” once in awhile.
A friend who can share a laugh.
A friend who encourages me when I try something new
     and applauds me whether I succeed or not.)
A friend who knows the song in my heart
     and sings it to me when I can’t remember.

As you’ve probably guessed, I have these friends. How blessed I am! Some of these relationships have developed over a long period of time and are among my greatest treasures. Others are newer but are becoming rich and deep. Some are friends that I see often; some, regrettably, are far away. Thanks, every one of you!

The point I am making with the coupon deal is something you already know: That is not how friends are acquired. True friendships are formed by a bonding process, a tying together that happens as life happens to you and to them. The Wisdom Writer implies seeking out those ties. “By yourself you're unprotected. With a friend you can face the worst. Can you round up a third? A three-stranded rope isn't easily snapped. (Ecclesiastes 4:12) Some of the qualities listed above may be the gentle ties that hold you to the friends you love, or there may be other values and characteristics that are more important to you. Either way, I wish for you the joy of relationship with a friend who “loves at all times.” No coupon required.

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 2003 by Eugene H. Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment