Friday, October 9, 2009

The Church Is Christ's Body

"Christ has no body now on earth but yours, no hands but yours, no feet but yours, yours are the eyes through which Christ's compassion is to look out to the earth, yours are the feet by which He is to go about doing good and yours are the hands by which He is to bless us now." St Teresa of Avila, 1515-1582

From childhood, I have heard this quote by the famous Carmelite nun, whose writings are full of deep spiritual insights as well as practical common sense. But to me, the idea that I was responsible for "being Jesus" to the world around me was a scary thought! With my exaggerated sense of obligation, it seemed like just too much.

I agree with Teresa that I am a personal representative of Christ. The Apostle Paul himself wrote, "So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, 'Come back to God!' " (II Corinthians 5:20) But my overwhelming sense of duty was relieved when I realized that I am not by myself in this. It is not up to me alone, but to the whole Church.

"God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church. And the church is his body; it is made full and complete by Christ, who fills all things everywhere with himself." (Ephesians 1:22, 23) The Church is Christ's body. His hands, His feet, His eyes are given expression through many believers, not just me. While I want to take my full share of responsibility to bless and do good, it is not the fearsome "oughtness" I once thought it was. All those who share my allegiance to Christ as the head, share my participation in being His body.

MaryMartha

Scripture quotations are taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment