Thursday, May 14, 2009

Without Wrinkles

While I was ironing a shirt this morning, I remembered what a wise friend told me a long time ago. I was wondering (whining?) why things were so difficult, and he reminded me that the Scripture says, "Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her to make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God’s word. He did this to present her to himself as a glorious church without a spot or wrinkle or any other blemish." (Ephesians 5:25-27) "You know that washing gets rid of spots," he said, "but what about the wrinkles?"

I could already guess where he was heading with his question. Heat and pressure are what iron out the wrinkles. While I've been cleansed by the saving power of Christ, I know there is still work to be done. I have "wrinkles" that need to be ironed out, and it is the heat of everyday life and the pressure of my circumstances that do that.

The shirt looked pretty good when I finished. I hope God can say the same of me!

MaryMartha

Scripture quotation is taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment