Thursday, September 11, 2008

"I Pronounce It Done!"

Several in my family like to camp. (Well, actually all of us do, but some think that the way to do it is to make reservations at the Holiday Inn!) Those of us who like to be in the tent camper enjoy cooking over an open fire as part of the "Great American Camping Experience." Now outdoor charcoal grills are not the same as your average kitchen range. Sometimes the food that is near the center of the fire is well done while that at the outer edge is not completely cooked. There may be marked differences even on the same piece of food.

We have found a way to deal with this. We use the cook's judgment as the determining factor. The chef-of-the-evening makes his or her best estimate of the state of readiness--there is always a risk factor--and then calls us together with "I pronounce it done." The cook has done his or her job; any adjustment that needs to be made has to be done by the diners. They are free to remove parts they deem inedible. They may adjust seasoning in any way. They may even decline entirely if they wish. There is, however, one absolute rule: No whining is allowed! Following this practice, we have been able for many years to enjoy our camping trips together, "eating our meat with gladness and singleness of heart" as the early Christians did.

So simple a practice has profound implications for the Christian’s faith walk. Listen to the Apostle Paul as he "pronounces it done." “Count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 6:11) Again, “I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.” (Philippians 3:8) Listen to Jesus as He pronounces it done. From the cross, He cries, "It is finished." The work of redemption is accomplished, spoiling forever the power of evil to triumph.

How does this affect me? I can live by what I know, rather than how I feel. I can face the day with bold assertions. "I pronounce God's blessing on this day. I claim that what I do shall be productive. I declare my victory over the insidious power of stress and negativity over me. I acknowledge the presence of the God’s Spirit to enliven me so that the fruit of the Spirit is borne in my life today. I pronounce it done!"

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®. NIV®. Copyright©1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment