Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Drawing from the Well

I have been remembering some of the songs I used to sing as a child in Daily Vacation Bible School. A lot of them were about joy.

"I have the joy, joy, joy, joy
Down in my heart . . ."

"Jesus, then Others, then You.
What a wonderful way to spell JOY. . ."

"The windows of heaven are open, the blessings are falling tonight.
There’s joy, joy, joy in my heart, for Jesus makes ev’rything right . . ."

"If you’re happy and you know it,
Clap your hands . . ."

Well, not surprisingly, life got more complicated as I grew older. Joy changed from mere youthful exuberance to something more settled—less noisy perhaps, but longer lasting. If I may put it this way, I have a history now with God, experience that makes me confident of His faithfulness. “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. With joy [I] will draw water from the wells of salvation.”
(Isaiah 12:2-3 NIV) The well is deep now, dug through sands of weakness until He became my strength, sunk further through the clinging clay of fears until He became my song, bored through the stubborn rock of dubious hope until He became my salvation! The well is deep now, and it’s
reliable
. Whenever I go there, I can draw joy. (Even though I may not clap my hands!)

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®. NIV®. Copyright©1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment