Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Something for Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday on the calendar of the Christian church. The season of Lent begins today, observed by liturgical churches and some other denominations as a time of “sacrifice,” preparing believers to commemorate the death and resurrection of Jesus. A co-worker had on her forehead today a smudge of ashes in the form of a cross, and I knew she had been to her church early this morning to receive the “imposition of ashes.” We had an interesting conversation when I told her that I remembered this was a special day and that I respected her devotion. Although my own faith tradition does not formally observe Lent, I try each year to offer up something to the Lord that would normally be a part of my everyday life. This keeps me reminded of the approaching season and its importance.
She responded by telling me, “Last night I tried to explain to my boys (the three are still very young), that sacrifice does not always mean giving up some favorite thing Perhaps they can, every day, go out of their way to help someone, cheer them with a smile, or be friendly to a student who is not especially likeable. Her own upbringing emphasized the negative, giving up something, and she hated it! Although now she understands the benefit of self-denial, it made no sense to her as a youngster.

I went away with a better appreciation of the meaning of “giving up something for Lent.” Maybe that something is part of me. God doesn't necessarily need my “sacrifice,” but maybe someone else does.

Some of my other posts about Lent:
It's Hard to Be Humble   here
Self-Denial    here
 
MaryMartha
 

No comments:

Post a Comment