Saturday, March 26, 2011

I Just Came to Talk with You

A friend called me a few weeks ago to suggest that we have lunch one day soon. Yesterday was the day, and we met for a pleasant brunch. I expected that she needed something. She might want me to listen as she vented about something that had upset her. (I say, “Well, maybe this or this was the reason.) She might want to borrow money, my tools, or the car. (I always say no, but she still tries!) She might want advice about something. (I say, “You could try such-and-such.) To my surprise and delight, she didn't ask me for anything, even when I questioned her about her agenda. She just came to talk with me. How refreshing!

I wonder if God finds it refreshing when we come to Him without a “gimme” agenda, when we don't whine or beg or ask about anything. He won't be surprised, of course, but maybe delighted? The late Dottie Rambo, gospel song writer and singer, said, “I didn't come here to ask You for anything. I just came to talk with You, Lord.” How refreshing for Him—and for us!

MaryMartha

No comments:

Post a Comment