Saturday, March 12, 2011

Puzzling Things

I am putting together another picture puzzle. Periodically, I take an interest in this activity, and may do several before I move on to something else. Right now I am working on a thousand-piece puzzle, the picture of which was expertly painted, I think, to be difficult! Many pieces are similar in an extreme way, both in color shading and
 in shape. After I am becoming confused in a section, I sometimes discover I have placed a piece where it didn't belong. The only way I can tell this is by holding it up to the light, which reveals tiny cracks where the piece did not fit perfectly.

I realized this afternoon how like our Christian life that is. We may be moving right along until we discover something is not quite right. The best way to see this is by holding it up to the light. The light is the Word of God, embodied in Jesus Christ. Things not fitting does not necessarily mean something is wrong; it may just be out of place. We might be trying to squeeze meaning into something without a contextual basis for doing so. Or we could be avoiding an understanding that is there to be seen if we are open to receive it.

Hold it up to the light!

Another of my posts on puzzles, here.
MaryMartha

Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment