Monday, November 2, 2009

Just a Tiny Crack

The other day I reached into the cupboard for a bottle of syrup that I hadn't used in quite awhile. Something dark was floating on the surface of the syrup, and I thought "Uh-oh, I have let this get moldy."   No, it didn't look like mold. I looked closer. And closer. I went nearer the window to have better light.    And I saw—ants! Hundreds of them.  They weren't alive any more; they had drowned  in the very stuff that attracted them. How did they get there? The lid seemed to be screwed on  tightly, so how.  .  .   ?

Well, I discovered a tiny crack in the lip of the lid. Probably I hadn't even noticed it before, or if I had, I thought it wasn't significant. Just a tiny crack, but it was large enough for invaders to spoil my supply of syrup and to meet death in a swamp of sweetness.

It's best if we don't ignore little problems! I read somewhere that even huge catastrophes are often not the result of a single action, but the combination of many little things, perhaps even unrelated, that went wrong
"Go to the ant . . . consider her ways and be wise!" (The Bible) 

Another post about "invaders" is [here]

MaryMartha

Art from http://www.wpclipart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment