Friday, November 13, 2009

Covered by Feathers

Occasionally I spend the night in the home of one of my family members. Covering the bed in which I sleep is a huge down comforter. This keeps me warm, of course, but it offers more than that: Comfort. It is, after all, a "comforter." There is something about the smooth softness of that comforter when I pull it up over my shoulders and even over part of my head—with only my face peeping out—that offers a sense of security and encourages my rest.

"He [the Almighty God] will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday. (Psalm 91:4-6) That is a strange picture, God with feathered wings. But since God is a spirit and our connection with Him is in spirit, this picture of Him is as true as any other we can imagine. When I think of God as a great hovering, protecting, concealing Presence in my life, it's not a stretch to visualize being under His wings.

I remember reading, many years ago, the story of a young woman who experienced a literal covering. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of my recall, nor even for the truth of the story itself, although it was presented as fact. As this woman approached her car in a dark, almost-deserted parking area, she was grabbed by a man who had been hiding there. She was not able to see her attacker, but recalling the above Scripture about God's protection, she began to shriek, "I'm covered with feathers! I'm covered with feathers!"

The man loosened his grip on her. "Be quiet!" he demanded.

She screamed all the louder. "I'm covered with feathers! I'm covered with feathers!"

Fearing he had inadvertently taken on a real "looney," the man released her and ran off.

The truth is real whether or not the incident is. God is our security, a comfort we can wrap ourselves in time of stress or need.

MaryMartha

Scripture quotation is taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

Art from http://www.sxc.hu/ and www.wpclipart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment