Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Influencers in My Life

I have known Faith since I was a child. She was well-accepted in our community, and had a special place in our home as she helped my busy parents in the rearing of six children. She was instrumental in my school life too, where she encouraged me to be responsible and kind. She helped me memorize Scripture verses for vacation Bible School, and I learned to rely on her for assurance in spiritual matters. She sometimes smoothed the pathway of relationships with my siblings, but she also chided me when I was in the wrong! She has lived up to her name as a faithful friend throughout my entire life.

And Will? He was never not a part of my life! I didn't really get to know him until I was several years old, perhaps two or so, but he was there from the beginning. Although good-hearted, he sometimes got me into trouble by devising mischief for us to perpetrate, and those are the times Faith got after me! He probably had a more substantial effect on my life than anyone realized—good, for the most part. When I was in my teens, he was one of the main reasons for my determined efforts to excel at everything I attempted. He may have pushed a little too hard sometimes, but without him, I might not have persevered. I am grateful for his steadfastness.

Faith and Will wed about the time I entered college. That was a surprise to me because I had often noted their dissimilarities. I watched their lives over several decades, however, and saw how harmoniously the two worked together. I learned a great deal through their combined influence. One of the most important things they did was to encourage me to become closer to Grace, their mutual friend. Faith had introduced me years ago, but I did little to nurture the relationship and Grace is not one to be pushy. Consequently, I did not really know Grace very well until I was into my middle adulthood. Her loving attitude and gentleness have helped re-shape some of the rough places in my life.

My FAITH has found a resting place,
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.
Refrain:
I need no other argument,

I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me. --Li­die H. Ed­munds, 1891

I can hear my Savior calling,
I can hear my Savior calling,
I can hear my Savior calling,
“Take thy cross and follow, follow Me.”
Refrain:
Where He leads me I WILL follow,
Where He leads me I WILL follow,
Where He leads me I WILL follow;
I’ll go with Him, with Him, all the way.—Ernest W. Blandly, 1890

Thro’ many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis GRACE has brought me safe thus far,
And GRACE will lead me home.

The Lord has promis’d good to me,

His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures. –John Newton, 1773 (?)

MaryMartha

1 comment:

  1. Your blog caught my eye because of the quotation of Mr. Blandy's hymn, "Where He Leads Me," since I deal with it today in my own blog, Wordwise Hymns. But I was immediately intrigued by your chosen pen name, MaryMartha. Largely based on the Luke passage (Lk. 10:38-42), so many seem to reach the conclusion that we should all be Marys, and that it's bad to be a Martha.

    I preached a sermon recently called "Personality and God's Purpose," a study of Mary and Martha from Luke, and also from John 11 and 12. You have it exactly right. Both women have commendable qualities and both have weaknesses. And the Lord never intended to Martha's of this world to fret because they're not Mary's in personality and giftedness. Both are needed in the Lord's service.

    Well done. And God bless.

    ReplyDelete