Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect . . . Sense

"Practice makes perfect," my teachers used to say. They wanted me to make, over and over again on my lined tablet, the ovals and strokes of the Palmer Method of Penmanship. I know I was very young; is it possible I learned cursive writing before or at the same time as manuscript? I understand that the inventor of the method recommended that it be taught exclusively, no printing first, so we dutifully practiced. My handwriting is legible— not perfect, but quite legible—and that came from that early practice

Ignace Jan Paderewski, one of the best-known musicians of his time (early twentieth century) as well as an influential Polish statesman, practiced his piano music endlessly. It could be argued that his performances were already "perfect," so why practice further? But he said, "If I miss one day of practice, I notice it. If I miss two days, the critics notice it. If I miss three days, the audience notices it."

Doctors and other medical professionals and attorneys may have spent a lifetime in their profession, and what they do is still called "practicing." There are bad jokes, of course, about why their work is a "practice," but in this instance, the word is not to be confused with rehearsing so as to acquire a competency. It is the practical application of the theories and skills presented in their training; the professionals are putting into "practice" their knowledge.

I wonder why we hear of "practicing Buddhists" and "practicing Jews" and other kinds of "practicing" believers, but we may never have even thought of the term, "a practicing Christian"? What would keep us from "practicing"? Have we decided it's just not possible to be perfect? Is it too hard to keep at it every day? Have we not learned anything that we could put into practice?

Because organized religions have certain customs and observances associated with them, the followers who adhere to these actions are said to be "practicing" their faith. Christians profess to be following Christ, in personal relationship with Him. Wouldn't practicing Christians be actively doing just that? Maybe not perfectly, but legibly. Every day, too, because otherwise our audience will be able to tell. And applying what we've learned in our heads to the action of heart and hands.

Practice makes perfect . . . sense.

MaryMartha

No comments:

Post a Comment