Monday, October 11, 2010

The Safest Place

A security camera
is watching!

Some months ago, I read an article about what is possibly the safest house in the world. The five-story residence sits high in the hills above Los Angeles with a 360° view of the surrounding area. Inside are thirty-two luxurious rooms, discreetly disguising the fact that the house is heavily fortified and super-secure. Six cars can park in the virtually impenetrable cave-like garage below the living areas. Should an intruder manage to breach the high-powered exterior security measures, there are two hidden panic rooms plus architecturally invisible safe cores. These are entire sections of the house that can be shut off from the rest of the building, and would provide safety from any outside threat: intruders, natural disaster and even nuclear, biological, or chemical attack.

This modern-day fortress can only provide a certain measure of peace of mind. The man/woman who is owner of this house is just as likely to have a heart attack as the next person. He/she is as susceptible to cancer, lung disease, or brain tumor as other people are. What then? The safest house in the world isn't really safe at all.

I believe in taking precautions that will help me be safe physically. Don't I have a basement equipped for waiting out a tornado? A fire extinguisher? Air bags in my car? Grab bars in the bathroom? But no effort of mine will be enough to give me spiritual safety. Psalm 23 is not yet worn out! Here is a verse of assurance: Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (Ps. 23:4) When we die certainly, but at other times too, when we pass through a dark place and experience the "dying" of something precious to us, we experience "the shadow of death." It is then that Jesus is right with us, not driving us through the valley, but leading us. His staff reassures and even rescues us, His rod protects us

The safest place? In His care. Whether we're in an elegant, fortified house or in a tiny apartment, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand." (John 10:27-29)

MaryMartha

Scripture taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®. NIV®. Copyright©1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment