Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Where Could I Go?

I live in Tornado Alley, the area in the central U.S. known for spawning the violent winds that sometimes tear up whole towns. Kansas is close to the top for frequency and severity of the storms. Of course, you knew that. You remember Dorothy and Toto getting blown to the Land of Oz, don't you?

Although I don't have a specially constructed shelter, I do have my basement outfitted with the items that would keep me safe and marginally comfortable if a twister lifted off my roof. I have spent a number of hours there on occasion, waiting for the all-clear signal so I can return upstairs. It's good to have a place to go. I passed by any number of houses that would have made a good home because they had no basement to provide personal refuge (it is to be hoped) from disaster.

There are other storms in life also, even violent ones. They are able to twist one's heart and mind with incredible pain. They can destroy what has taken years and years to build in just a fraction of that time, leaving grief and loss. They scatter plans and drench hopes. Yes, "into each life, some rain must fall." (Longfellow) But no one ever expects a tornado. "Where could I go? Oh, where could I go, seeking a refuge for my soul?" (an old song by James Coats.) You need a place to go.

I like book titles that send my mind off into wanderings and wonderings. I noticed one the other day: Home for Broken Hearts. That's it, I thought. That describes the refuge that God provides for weary, hurting people in life's tornadoes. "Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him. For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. The LORD says, 'I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them.' " (Psalm 91:1-4, 14-16)

MaryMartha

Scripture quotation is taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment