Thursday, September 9, 2010

Things Mama Taught Me: "Add Just Enough . . . "

I'm sure many of you had a mother—or grandmother—who reigned in the kitchen without using a cookbook. Familiar food dishes were prepared without referring to any recipe; the cook just put things together in her own time-honored way and it seemed always to turn out splendidly!

I wanted to learn how to make pie crust like my Mom made, pliable enough to be pressed into high fluted edges, baking up crisp but tender and flakey. Okay, I had lard (a permitted ingredient in those days!), flour, and salt. "Now add cold water a little bit at a time until it feels right."

Can I help it if your mouth is watering?
Until it feels right? How was a beginning pie-maker to know when it felt right? I never did learn. To this day I rely on refrigerated crusts or resort to making a crumb one and pretend that's what the recipe called for!

"Just enough." It's not only in making pie crust that we have not learned very well what that means. Many aspects of our American culture rely for success on our penchant for excess. We drive cars with far too much horsepower, we eat restaurant meals that would feed several people, we trade in electronic gadgets that work just fine for bigger ones with more capabilities than we know how to use, we have closets full of clothes and shoes we never wear. We hardly ever feel we have "enough."

Books, articles in magazines, and items on the Internet give lots of ideas about making it through the continuing economic downturn. The one that appealed to me as the wisest was this: Be satisfied with less.

Learning to be content is not a new idea. The Apostle Paul tells us, in his letter to the church at Philippi, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (4:12, 13) While we often quote, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me," this Scripture applies most directly to being content, learning to be happy with much or little, knowing what it just enough.

MaryMartha

Scripture quotation is taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment