Thursday, March 18, 2010

In the Middle



I am a middle child. Growing up, I was too little to do what the big kids do, too big to act like the little ones! "It ain't easy being me!"

It's good to be in the middle of some things. I'm in the middle of a project. I drive in the middle of country roads to avoid the hazards along the edge. I am in the middle of a great book I'm reading.

It's not so good to be in the middle of some other things. I was caught in the middle of this huge traffic jam. We're in the middle of allergy season. He or she likes to be in the middle of things.

Ah! It's that last "in the middle" that often gets us into difficulty!

4Not every conversation I hear is intended to include me. If I decide to "butt in," I'd better be certain what I have to say is going to be welcomed. Staying out of the middle is well-advised.

4Not every problem that I observe someone having requires my input. Really think about it before getting in the middle.

4Not every dramatic situation that is brought to me for pity actually needs a pitying response. Stay out of the middle.

4Not everyone needs me to defend them. Stay out of the middle.

4Not every idea that floats through my head deserves to be spoken. "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool," Abraham Lincoln said, "than to speak out and remove all doubt." Stay out of the middle.

4Not every idea presented by someone else has to have my approval or veto. It's often wisest to stay out of the middle.

4Not every experience of mine makes me an expert on a seemingly similar experience of someone else. For sure, stay out of the middle!

4Not every issue—theological, political, or social—requires me to have a fully-formed, defendable opinion on the matter. Wait a good long while before getting in the middle of debate.

4Not every cause, regardless how good, has a claim to my resources. Be careful how many of those "middles" I get into.

It seems, doesn't it, that I am better off not being in the middle of a lot of business that is not strictly my own? This doesn't necessarily mean lack of caring. If you look back over the list, you will see that it mainly means not talking too much!

The Book of Proverbs has some good advice about talking. Here are a few verses, and there are many more:

• Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut. (10:19)

• Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything. (13:3)

• The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking; the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words. (15:28)

• A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered. (17:27)

Remembering these Scriptures will help me stay out of the middle of things that are "none of my beeswax"—the softer way of saying "This is none of your business," used often by those bigger kids in my little life!

MaryMartha

Scripture quotations are taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.
Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment