Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Know I'm Heard


Several recent events featured in online news items have provoked a huge response from readers. Many sites offer an opportunity for comments, and they receive literally thousands upon thousands. A few are sane and well-reasoned arguments, a great many have little substance, and some are ferocious, vulgar and rude. Then other readers comment on those comments, often resorting to name-calling and unprintable adjectives, represented by a series of symbols and a few well-placed letters so that anyone can tell what is meant without the words being kicked out by an automatic censoring system. I imagine said system can also check for libelous statements or threats. Surely no actual person is going to read all those 12,521 comments. (I'm not making that up.)

That's just it. Why rush to make one's opinion known when no one who really matters cares? There seems to be frenzied effort on the part of many to express what they think, even if it merely repeats what someone else has said. From my limited point of view, there is no discussion, no information added, no new ideas put forth, not even succinct summary offered—just repetitious rantings.

I like knowing that I have Someone who always listens to me. I may not present a good argument to God, but He listens anyway. I may even have a complaint, but I don't have to yell for Him to hear it. There are a great many prayers in the Scripture, asking God to hear. But a few declare that He does indeed hear. One of those verses gives Jesus' own words. Because He is our way to the Father, we can say as He did, "I know that You always hear me."

O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Ev'rything to God in prayer.
Even the news.

MaryMartha

Words of hymn, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus", by Joseph Scriven, 1855
Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment