Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lessons from a Bird

Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight
Awhile on boughs too slight,
Feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings,
Knowing that she hath wings. — Victor Hugo

I was only in the middle grades, but I was so impressed by the beauty and truth of this poem in my reading book that I memorized it. That was a long time ago, and I admit I’ve failed to quote the lines accurately sometimes; nevertheless, they are still beautiful and still true. I can learn some lessons from this little creature.

“Pausing in her flight . . . “ The bird doesn’t try to fly unceasingly. She lands on a slender branch to rest awhile. Perhaps it sways with her added weight,but it doesn’t matter to her that this is not a substantial limb; she’ll be there only a few moments. Should I be distressed by the instability of things I would like to rely upon? No, I’m going to be at this particular place in life a relatively short while. No troubling circumstance lasts forever. I will be all right.

“And yet sings . . .” The little bird sings! There’s something thrilling about bird song, so spontaneous, so unheeding of vulnerability. She is unafraid, even though her perch is precarious, and dangers are present everywhere in the neighborhood. Likewise, I am not to be threatened by what I see around me or feel alarmed by changes in circumstance. Were I to be more like the bird, I would be “singing and making melody in [my] heart to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:19 NKJV) If I let it, that song might actually burst from my lips sometimes!

“Knowing that she hath wings.” Because she has wings, the bird is able to move to a realm above uncertainty and restriction. I can too. If I practice what the Word of God says, I can have strong spiritual wings. “Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” (Isaiah 40:31 NIV)

The bird was meant to sing and fly. And so am I.

MaryMartha
(All rights reserved)

Scripture marked NKJV taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Scripture marked NIV taken from the New International Bible. Used by permission.

Email: mrymrtha@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment