Monday, November 22, 2010

Family Resemblance


Some day our digital photos
will look just as quaint!
 Last week I spent time with members of my extended family, some of whom I had not seen for a number of years. We were gathered to memorialize the life of an elderly aunt who died the previous weekend. Although we felt the loss, our being together again was like her parting gift to us. We laughed and hugged, shared pictures and memories, and ate and sang, all the while being aware of how much she herself would have enjoyed this family celebration!

I was struck by the family resemblance I see on the faces of my cousins, now that they mature. They actually look more like their fathers or uncles than they look like each other. And they tell me too, that now I look like my mother whose features are clearly seen in our other aunts. Indeed, we do look like the family we belong to!

I wonder if that is true of us as Christians? As we mature, do we look more like the family of God? Do our lives bear resemblance to our Elder Brother and to the Father Himself? He would be so pleased!
 
MaryMartha
 
Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment