Monday, June 7, 2010

Antidotes


Sometimes we need an antidote for something we have contacted or ingested: poison ivy or a bee sting, a medication to which we are allergic or just too much pizza! Doctors know, and many mothers too, know what will soothe the itchy skin or the upset stomach.

I have found a spiritual antidote as well. When I have contacted too much negative talk or encountered too many discouraging circumstances or remembered too many painful memories, the Word of God helps make things right.


But as for me, I almost lost my footing. My feet were slipping, and I was almost gone. For I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness. They seem to live such painless lives; their bodies are so healthy and strong. They don’t have troubles like other people; they’re not plagued with problems like everyone else. . . Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? I get nothing but trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain. . . So I tried to
understand why the wicked prosper. But what a difficult task it is!


Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked. Truly, you put them on a slippery path and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction. In an instant they are destroyed, completely swept away by terrors. Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside. . . Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.


Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." (Psalm 2:2-5, 13-14, 16-19, 21, 23-26)


This antidote works even better than calamine lotion or Tums!

MaryMartha

Scripture quotations are taken from The Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. United States of America. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment