Monday, April 12, 2010

More Pruning


I have been pruning my old rose bush this morning. It is the size of a small tree, much taller than I—although that's not saying a whole lot! I've never see a bush (tree?) quite like it, loaded throughout the summer with pink blooms. Because it is so tall and so wide, I've never given it much care other than to cut off the long canes that were in the way when mowing. Today I decided to do some real pruning. I cut out a lot of dead branches, and some green ones too because they tangled with others. A third of the bush, perhaps, is gone now.

It isn't easy for me cut away living parts of plants. "I'm cutting off future flowers," I tell myself. "This twig is alive. So what it it's in the way? It might be beautiful eventually."

Then I remember: If I want more of that same satisfying beauty from the bush, it is important to free the plant’s growth energies. Removing the old and tired makes way for the new and fresh.

Gardening speaks God’s truth to me. Jesus said, “Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit.” Much fruit, He said, or lots and lots of roses in the garden of my life. And does Jesus come walking through to prune the plants there, removing what is old and faded and drooping? Indeed, He does! "He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.” (John 15:2)

I could understand if the Lord of my life lopped off the branches that aren’t bearing anything. That makes sense. But having fruit-bearing branches pruned is painful, and I've been known to argue!

-- “Lord, You were with me from the beginning of this project, weren't you? Why should I now turn it over to someone else, just when I’m beginning to see the results of my effort?”

-- “Lord, I’ve been involved for a long time now in this part of Your work. What will people think if I tell them I have shifted some of my priorities and I’m not able to serve in this particular way any longer?”

-- “Lord, You gave this work to me. What's the matter? Why aren’t You pleased?”

Then He reminds me, “I am not unhappy with what your life has produced. I am pleased with your love and service. I'm only encouraging further production!”

He'd like more roses, if you will. So then, I gladly trust my life to the Lord of Gardens. (He planted the very first one, after all.) He alone knows how to produce beauty and abundance in my life.

MaryMartha

You might enjoy reading "Pruning"
here.

Scripture taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®. NIV®. Copyright©1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.
Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment