Thursday, February 4, 2010

Developing in the Dark

I remember my first camera: a Baby Brownie Special by Kodak, an absolute wonder of technology! It was tiny; it took 1-5/8 inch by 2-1/2 pictures on a roll of 127 film. The camera was molded Bakelite (a plastic now found only in collectible items), with a white push-button shutter release and a white film winder knob contrasting smartly with the sleek black body. A braided handle completed the stylish look! I was only ten or twelve, and easily impressed, I suppose!

When the whole roll of film had been exposed—I knew this by peering into the little red window in the back—I rolled it back onto the spool, and my mother or someone took it to the photo shop for developing. In a week or so (or whenever the next trip to town took place), I held in my hand the eight little photographs of my brothers, the dog, the cow barn, and grandma and grandpa at their house, their likenesses preserved forever!

Eventually I moved up to a slightly better camera, but still just a box that took black-and-white pictures. I enrolled in an elective photography class in high school. In the darkroom, in complete blackout, I rolled exposed film into a light-tight canister and poured the developer in. After the prescribed time elapsed, I clipped the negatives up to a line to dry and later printed the photos or cropped and enlarged them with only a faint red light in the room. Mostly I worked in the dark to produce my work.

Sometimes life is like that. Everything is bright and sunny for a time. All is well, and we suppose this is how things are going to be now. But sometimes we have to work in the dark. In fact, that is often how God accomplishes His purposes. We don't stay in the dark always, for He leads us in the way of light. But sometimes while something is "developing," we have to wait without seeing clearly. The children of Israel were guided along their wilderness trek by the cloud of God's presence. God was in the dark cloud that covered the mountain as He issued the Ten Commandments. When Moses went to the Tent of Meeting to speak with God, a cloud covered the entrance. When the Tabernacle for worship was set up, a cloud of God hovered over the place of atonement which covered the Ark. When Solomon's temple was dedicated a great cloud filled it. When Jesus gave up His life on the Cross, darkness filled the land.

"He made darkness His secret place; His canopy around Him was dark waters and thick clouds of the skies." (Psalm 18:11 NKJV) Know that when the process of "developing" and "enlarging" is finished, something of lasting value will have been worked into your life.

MaryMartha

Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Art from http://www.brownie-camera.com/manuals/babybspecial/index.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment